Gardens Figure Skating Club of Maryland is a proud member of the United States Figure Skating Association. Originally established as the Suburban Skating Club of Maryland in 1978, we were re-established in the year 2000 at our current home facility The Gardens Ice House of Laurel, Maryland. We are a volunteer-run organization dedicated to promoting the sport of figure skating by encouraging practice, performance, competition, and testing.
Texas Roadhouse Dine-Out Fundraiser
Join us at Texas Roadhouse at 6011 Highbridge Road in Bowie, MD, on Tuesday, February 13, 2024 for our Texas Roadhouse Dine-out fundraiser! Show the digital file, and Texas Roadhouse will donate 10% of your total purchase to Gardens Figure Skating Club!
May Day Open Competition 2024
The Gardens Figure Skating Club hosts an annual competition called the May Day Open. This competition attracts approximately 450 competitors from Basic Skills through Senior level, and Adult Bronze though Gold levels. Judges include those with national and international level experience. Events include freestyle, compulsory events (moves, spins, jumps), interpretive freestyle, artistic freestyle, pairs, solo dance, and ice dance. IJS critiques will be available. This year’s May Day Open will be held from May 9-11, 2024. Registration is now open on EMS, and registration closes on March 31, 2024 at 11:59 pm ET – hope to see you there!
The May Day Open is proud to be a competition within the 2024 U.S. Figure Skating Excel Series.
May Day 2024 Announcement (PDF format)
Club Freestyle Ice
Join us for club freestyle ice! Each 40 minute session is $8 for Gardens FSC members, and $10 for non-members (30 min sessions are $6 for GFSC and $8 for non-members). Payment can be made at the session via cash, check or Zelle.
Upcoming USFS Test Sessions
We offer United States Figure Skating Association approved test sessions at regular intervals year round. Test sessions include moves in the field, freestyle, and ice dance through international.
Upcoming Test Session:
Important Test Session Information:
- Priority goes to home club members who submit their application before the deadline. All others (including home club members who do not get their applications in on time) are first come, first served.
- Test fees will not be refunded after the schedule is published, including contingent tests that are not taken. If a skater is sick or injured and can produce a doctor’s note we will forward the test to the next test session.
- The schedule will be posted a week before the test on this website and emailed to all skaters and coaches at the address given on the application form.
- Please arrive at the rink for your test at least one hour prior to your scheduled warmup time. If we are ahead of schedule and you are not available for your test, we may not be able to fit you in later.
- By submitting an application, you are applying to test at any time during the session. Personal requests by skaters/coaches cannot be accommodated fairly with the number of tests we conduct.
- Coaches, including partnering pros and coaches of non-home club members must be CER compliant via USFSA in order to coach/partner at our test sessions.
- Results will be provided at the first break following each group. Copies will be provided and originals will stay with the club.
- If you are not a home club member, you must have a Permission to Test letter from your club in order to test.
Contact our board if you are interested in volunteering a few hours of your time to assist with skater checkin, ice monitoring, or test form running. Volunteering is a great way to become more acquainted with our sport and the testing atmosphere. Many of our volunteer jobs also allow you to watch some fantastic skating.
Become a Friend of Gardens FSC!
We are excited to offer a new option for those who would like to support the club and stay informed of club events, but do not want to join as a member. Those who join the Friend of Gardens FSC will be added to our email distribution list to receive club updates and are invited to participate in club social events. The cost is $20 per year (July 1-June 30). The club will provide a free ticket to the Spring Show for each Friend of GFSC, so the membership pays for itself! This is a great option for Learn to Skate or Academy members who want to hear about and participate in club social events, but aren’t ready to join
a club yet, as well as friends and family of club members who want to stay informed and support the club.
You can sign up to be a Friend of Gardens FSC in one of two ways:
1 – Through our EntryEeze site, or
2 – By emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and email and sending payment through Zelle
Please note, that while you can register through EntryEeze and participate in social events, this is not actually a club membership and as such, does not provide USFS membership.